Wdfw Closing Quillayute River And Most Tributaries - Effective October 16th
Quillayute River and most tributaries
to close Oct. 16 due to low river flows
Action: Closes the Quillayute, Sol Duc, and Dickey rivers to all fishing.
Closes sections of the Bogachiel and Calawah rivers to salmon fishing and other sections of those rivers to all fishing.
Effective date: Oct. 16, 2017 until further notice.
Locations and affected species:
- Quillayute River: Closed to all fishing.
- Sol Duc River: Closed to all fishing.
- Dickey River: Closed to all fishing.
- Bogachiel River, downstream of Wilson's boat launch and upstream of the Highway 101 bridge: Closed to all fishing.
- Bogachiel River, between Highway 101 and Wilson's boat ramp: Closed to salmon retention but remains open to fishing for trout and hatchery summer steelhead.
- Calawah River, upstream of the Highway 101 bridge: Closed to all fishing.
- Calawah River, downstream of the Highway 101 bridge: Closed to salmon retention but remains open to fishing for trout and hatchery summer steelhead.
Reason for action: Unusually low river flows in recent weeks have created difficult migrating conditions for returning salmon, impeding their movement upstream. The closure is intended to protect these fish until flow conditions change sufficiently to enable normal salmon migration and the attainment of escapement goals.
These rivers will re-open when flows have normalized sufficiently to allow consistent, unimpeded migration.
Further Information: The Quileute Tribe is closing fisheries in the Quillayute River until flows improve and Olympic National Park is closing waters within the park boundaries.
Information contact: Region 6 Office, (360) 249-4628.