Additional Fishing Opportunites For Snohomish System
Snohomish, Skykomish and Wallace rivers to open
for gamefish; coho fishing season extended
Action: Opens the Snohomish River, the Skykomish River and the Wallace River to fishing for gamefish beginning Oct. 22. Extends the coho fisheries on these three rivers through Nov. 30.
Species affected: Coho salmon and gamefish.
Reason for action: State and tribal co-managers had agreed to limited coho fisheries, Oct. 11 through Oct. 31, on these rivers but kept the rivers closed to fishing for gamefish. The co-managers agree that the coho return is strong enough to extend the coho fisheries through Nov. 30 and open gamefish fisheries on Oct. 22, rather than Nov. 1, as scheduled.
Effective locations and dates:
Snohomish River (Snohomish County) from the mouth (Burlington-Northern Railroad bridges), including all channels, sloughs, and interconnected waterways, but excluding all tributaries, upstream to the confluence of the Skykomish and Snoqualmie rivers. Open for gamefish Oct. 22. Open for coho fishing through Nov. 30.
Skykomish River from the mouth upstream to the confluence with the Wallace River. Open for gamefish Oct. 22. Open for coho fishing through Nov. 30. Fishing from a floating device is prohibited Nov. 1 through Nov. 30 from the boat ramp below Lewis St. Bridge at Monroe to a point 2,500 feet downstream from the ramp, and from 1,000 feet downstream of the Reiter Ponds outlet to 1,500 feet upstream.
Wallace River from the mouth (farthest downstream railroad bridge) to 200 feet upstream of the hatchery water intake. Open for gamefish Oct. 22. Open for coho fishing through Nov. 30. Fishing from a floating device is prohibited on the Wallace River from Nov. 1 through Nov. 30.
- Night closure in effect (fishing is open from one hour before official sunrise to one hour after official sunset).
- Anti-snagging rules apply.
- Salmon: Minimum size 12 inches; daily limit 2 coho only.
- Dolly Varden/Bull Trout: Min. size 20". May be retained as part of the trout daily limit.
- Other trout: Minimum size 14". Daily limit 2.
- Other gamefish rules, including statewide minimum size/daily limits apply.
- Sturgeon: Catch and release is allowed. When fishing for sturgeon, all other sturgeon rules apply (see page 14 of the Fishing in Washington Sport Fishing Pamphlet).